Thursday, September 29, 2011

And oh, ’tis true, ’tis true.

I have received a gift which is blue.  I told the giver that blue is my favorite color, but she questioned that. Really, or are you just saying that?

Well, you know what?  I once wondered that same thing myself, many years ago.  I wondered if I said my favorite color was blue just out of habit.  After all, there are other colors I like.  And then one day about 27 or 28 years ago (who needs to be precise?) I experienced an illuminating chromatic epiphany.

Near the door of my tiny apartment there was a tiny closet with a folding door.  I was sitting on my couch on the other side of the room watching a Cubs game on my tiny television.  My eyes wandered to the closet, the door of which was open, and for the first time, I actually noted and mentally catalogued what I saw.

Hanging in the closet were my dark blue pea coat, a navy blue hooded sweatshirt, a navy blue nylon jacket, a gray coaches jacket with dark blue sleeves, a soft blue cotton jacket, and a bright blue raincoat.

What's my favorite color?  Let me think ...

No comments:

Post a Comment