Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My New Wheels

The lease was up on my automobile this month, so I needed a new ride.  I really wanted to economize now that I'm retired and my income is reduced.  We really only need one good car between us, so I thought I'd get myself a beater just to buzz around town in.  However, it seems that the Cash for Clunkers took all the $1500 used cars off the market, and besides, after seeing what $5000 will buy, I abandoned that idea.

I looked into leasing or buying new, buying used -- I even thought about buying the gas-guzzling SUV I had been leasing, but that was a bad idea too, especially since gasoline was $4.29 a gallon that week.

So, I finally decided a late-model mid-sized used car would do.  I stopped to see the dealer up the street, who just happened to have for sale a 2007 Chevrolet Malibu with 8840 miles on it.  Yes.  That's what I said.

It's a nice car.  Looks brand new inside and out -- talk about the little old lady who only drove it to church on Sundays.  It's got four doors and power stuff and a DIC (computerized Driver Information Center).  It can get 22 mpg in town and 32 on the highway.  Its color is given as "amber bronze metallic," which is a sort of light gold-ish tan.  It's a nice car to drive.  I'm liking it a lot

I had several stops on my shopping trip today, and as I drove around town I kept noticing other vehicles similar to mine in size and shape and color, and I suddenly became aware of exactly what has happened to me.

I am driving an old-lady car.

Oh, well.  If the shoes fits...

No comments:

Post a Comment