Thursday, May 13, 2010

Name that name

Something came up the other day about dancers, maybe because it was Martha Graham's birthday, and then I thought about Twila Tharp. I remember how odd a name it sounded to me when I first heard it, lo these many years ago. It still is an odd-sounding name.

A long time ago I knew a girl named Ardith Klutz. Not that there's anything wrong with either name -- Ardith Wilson, Sue Klutz, no problem. But the two together takes it to a whole new level of humor.

People who have strange or funny or potentially funny last names should not give their kids first names that compound the problem.

Mary Blundstone, Carol Dingleberry, John Kornbleet are only moderately amusing, but Bertha Blundstone, Daphne Dingleberry, Thaddeus Q. Kornbleet are hilarious.

Those three (latter) are real people, by the bye. All dead now, probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment