Sunday, May 9, 2010

It's the whiskey

I happen to own on DVD the entire five years' worth of Upstairs, Downstairs (my all-time favorite television show), which is set in England in the first decades of the Twentieth Century. A few years ago while going through the whole series again, I noticed the characters were drinking sidecars at one point. I looked it up on the Internet and found that the sidecar was a popular drink around the time of World War I. I had to try it.

A basic sidecar is brandy, triple sec and lemon juice. I made one with Courvoissier, Grand Marnier and lemon juice out of a green bottle (or maybe a yellow plastic lemon-shaped squeeze thing). Despite that, I liked it. A lot.

Then I discovered actual real lemons, squeezed by me and used in place of the "Realemon" lemon juice in the green bottle. It opened a whole new world.

I like my cocktail when I get home from work, or before cooking Sunday supper, or any time I feel like I want one. And I probably drink some sort of side car more often than anything else. My current favorite variation is the Irish Whiskey Sidecar, which I believe I invented, thus:

2 oz Jameson (12-yr-old only)
1 oz Cointreau
1 oz fresh lemon juice

I was out of Jameson 12 a few months back (the stuff is $40 a bottle) and tried making it with Jack Daniels. Now I like Jack Daniels, when I'm in the mood for sour mash whiskey, but it never was quite right. I fooled with the proportions -- less lemon, more Cointreau, less Cointreau, more lemon, although rarely less whiskey -- and I fooled with the proportions some more, but it never was quite right.

And then somebody bought me a bottle of Jameson 12 for Christmas, and I discovered the real truth. It's not the proportions. It's the whiskey.

My second favorite variation, and a close second it is:

2 oz Absolut vodka
1/2 oz Cointreau
1/2 oz lemon juice

More Cointreau and/or more lemon overpowers the vodka, that's why the proportions of those items are half what goes in against the Jameson 12. The vodka sidecar took a lot of fooling with the proportions too, but I got it.

Right now, it's a Jameson Sidecar I'm drinking, and I'm loving it. And writing about it.

Too bad somebody isn't here to share it with me. The drink, or the blog. Either one.

No comments:

Post a Comment