Sunday, August 25, 2019

Figure it out, kids

I just remembered this story, and I should probably save it until Christmas, but I'll forget between now and then. So, here's a little Christmas in July. Or August, actually.

It was December, just before Christmas break, when I was in college in Wisconsin long ago. One afternoon I went down to the dormitory lobby to check my mailbox, and I was happy to see what I thought was a letter from my mother. When I opened it, however, I found only a small, oddly-shaped fragment of a Christmas card.

Four of my friends received similar envelopes and, recognizing the sender's return address, came to my room to ask me if I knew what was going on.

Being extremely bright college kids, it didn't take us long to figure it out. My mother had cut a card into five irregular shapes, making a Christmas card jigsaw puzzle. Once we put it together, we were able to see the pretty card and read her hand-written message wishing us all a very merry Christmas.

The girls were delighted and said that my mother was "fun."

Yes, she was.

No comments:

Post a Comment