Sunday, June 3, 2018

A walk or hit batsman doesn't count either

There's an outfit called Binny's Beverage Depot that sponsors some Chicago sports broadcasts. They have dozens of locations in and around Chicago, and we actually stopped at one last year on our way home from Iowa. I’ve visited a few liquor stores in my time, but I’ve never seen so much liquor, wine, and beer in one place in my life, so they're advertising catchphrase is apt -- If you can't find it at Binny's, it's probably not worth drinkin'.

For the last few years Binny’s has sponsored Chicago Cubs baseball, and one of their gimmicks is to donate $100 to Cubs Charities every time the Cubs first batter leads the game off with a hit. I say gimmick because it sounds a lot better than it is. They are hoping you don’t notice that even if every lead-off man in every one of the Cubs’ 81 home games gets a hit, they’d only have to fork over $8,100, and I think a place with 38 locations and a gazillion bottles of booze could do better than that.

But it’s not  going to cost them anywhere near that much, since even a really good lead-off hitter (according to MLB stats) starts the game with a hit only 39.8% of the time. At that rate there would be no more than 32 lead-off hits in Wrigley Field, costing Binny’s a mere $3,200.

I think you need to generous up a little, Binny.

No comments:

Post a Comment