Tuesday, April 3, 2018

What'll you have?

In previous postings, I’ve talked about my adventures with the sidecar, a popular World War I-era cocktail. I was curious when it was mentioned in several episodes of the British series “Upstairs Downstairs,” so I researched it and made one for myself. And liked it. A lot.

The popularity of the drink faded long ago, and I gave up trying to order a one in a restaurant. Only experienced mixologists know how to make a sidecar. Most bartenders, especially wait staff who are pressed into service behind the bar, have never heard of it.

Yesterday I went into our local Outback to buy a gift card for a friend. The hostess directed me to the bar, tended by a very pleasant young woman who, at 3:00 in the afternoon, had no other customers. She was ringing up the sale, and just on a whim, I asked, "Do you know how to make a sidecar?"

She stopped what she was doing, looked off into space, and after a significant pause, said doubtfully, “Do you mean, like for a motorcycle?”

Never mind. Thanks anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment