Saturday, April 28, 2018

That's a good name for it.

It looks like spring is finally going to come to Michigan, which opens the door to many possibilities, not the least of which is the opportunity to enjoy outings that involve driving around more or less aimlessly on back roads to see what we can see. For a detailed description of this activity, see my posting entitled "Sploring" of August 20, 2010.

As I said in that post, we often add scratch-off lottery tickets when sploring, which requires stopping at mom-and-pop stores to buy the tickets and trading in the winners and/or buying more tickets at the next little store.

On one such occasion we ended up mostly north and west our home base, and quite a long way off. We stopped at a convenience store that appeared to be on the outskirts of a town, but we didn't know which one. I waited in the car while my wife went into the store to deal with the lottery tickets. Parked next to me was a pickup truck with an older gentleman at the wheel whose companion had also gone into the store.

Both our windows were down, so I leaned my head out and said to him, "Excuse me. Can you tell me what town this is?"

"This is Lakeview," he said.

I admit I do have a rather shameless tendency to be -- well, a smart ass, and before I could stop myself, I said mildly, "Oh, I'll bet you can see the lake from here."

"Oh, no," he said earnestly, "not from here.  But from town you can."

Good to know. Thank you, sir.


No comments:

Post a Comment