Sunday, July 23, 2017

Mine Ears Have Heard the Glory

One of my mother’s favorite songs was “The Battle Hymn of the Republic,” words by Julia Ward Howe, sung to the tune of a camp-meeting song called “John Brown’s Body.” It arose and became quite popular during the American Civil War.

I mentioned in a previous post (“Quite an undertaking,” October 26, 2011) that my mother had pre-arranged her funeral, which actually consisted of a single night of what they now call “visitation” or (worse) “viewing,” but which we used to call a wake.  On the instruction sheet for the arrangements, she had marked that organ music was acceptable but added a note in the margin that said, "Do not play 'In the Garden,' or I will get up and walk out.”

She included, among the few hymns and songs she wanted to be played, "The Battle Hymn of the Republic,” but when the time came, I asked the organist to omit it.  I was afraid that thereafter I would always associate that song with my mother's death.

“The Battle Hymn of the Republic” came up as a correct response on “Jeopardy!” recently, and it immediately reminded me that my mother wanted that song played at her funeral service.

I might as well have let the organist play it.

No comments:

Post a Comment