Thursday, July 27, 2017

Good Advice

I woman I used to know, a professional photographer, told me about a time she had to deliver some photos to a client whose office was in downtown Chicago. She drove into the Loop and found the building, but she couldn’t find a parking place anywhere near it.

She did not want to resort to one of those public garages that charged $27 for the first half hour, so she drove around the block six or eight times hoping somebody would leave and a spot would open up on the street. None did.

Finally, she pulled into the alley behind the building and ascertained that there was a back entrance. She was sitting there trying to decide if she and her car would be safe when she saw a dirty and disheveled man shuffling toward her.  He was obviously a street person, a genuine bum complete with a bottle in a brown paper bag.

At some level, she recognized the absurdity of seeking reassurance from such as he; nevertheless, as he approached, she rolled down her window and called out, “Hey – do you think I could leave my car here for five minutes while I run into that building?”

The guy came up to her side of the car and leaned down to look directly at her through the open window. After studying her face for a moment, he said, “Lady – take a chance.”

That was over 40 years ago, yet at any time in my life that a bold decision is needed, I always recall the sage advice of the wino in the alley and say to myself, "Lady, take a chance."

No comments:

Post a Comment