Sunday, January 8, 2017

Was he worth his salt?

My Aunt Blanche has a vast collection of salt and pepper shakers. Most of them are souvenirs she picked up on her extensive travels in North America. They number in the hundreds.

Up until about 40 years ago, she kept them in a huge cabinet with glass doors that her father built for her. Nowadays they are packed in cardboard boxes, wrapped in old newspaper.

It has been decades since I’ve seen any of them, but there is one set I remember particularly because it was so silly that it made me laugh out loud.  They were shaped like tombstones, and the salt shaker bore an inscription I've never forgotten:
Here lies
Salty McQuaid,
Slow on the draw,
And now he’s daid.
There was a matching pepper shaker, but I don’t remember what it said. I don't know where she obtained them, but I'd have to guess it was out West somewhere.


STOP THE PRESSES!

Through the miracle of the Internet, I have found a photograph of those salt and pepper shakers. The other guy, it seems, was Pepper Wyatt ("talked too much but now he's quiet").


I swear, you can find anything out there on the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment