Saturday, January 21, 2017

Inauguration Day

I sometimes have trouble falling asleep, especially now that I am retired and keep weird hours because I have no place to get up and go to in the morning.

At various times in my life I have lain awake because I was worried about something -- how to pay my rent, could I find a job, will I pass the test, am I sick or getting sicker, is it requited love, what did I eat to give me such heartburn, and, especially, wondering why I can’t fall asleep.

In all my 70 years of life, however, I have never once gone to bed worrying about the direction in which my country is headed, nor have I ever worried about losing those things I innocently took for granted – my country and its leaders keeping me safe from enemies foreign and domestic; striving for, if not achieving, equality for all; establishing just laws and tasking responsible, intelligent people to carry them out.

Until last night. It was the only time in my life I have ever gone to bed afraid for the future of my country.

No comments:

Post a Comment