Saturday, July 23, 2016

You have to break some eggs to make an omelet

Within the last few months I became a convert to cooking hard eggs in muffin tins in the oven. I experimented with only a few eggs at a time so as not to waste many. My first attempts failed, but I adjusted times and temperatures and muffin-cup liners and finally achieved what I thought was the ultimate method.

I kept a running account of my efforts on Facebook, surprised by how many people indicated they were waiting for my final "recipe." Once I achieved success, I became a tireless advocate for the baked hard-cooked egg. I swore I'd never boil eggs again.

Then a few weeks ago, for no reason I can think of, I ended up with a dozen eggs thus baked that would not peel right -- a layer of white adhered to and came off with the shell in several spots. It bordered on disaster.

For the first time since, I made hard eggs today, and I admit that I went back to boiling, with excellent results. Now, however, I am faced with the prospect of having to go on Facebook and recant. It will be embarrassing, but not as embarrassing as taking deviled eggs to a pot-luck that tasted good but looked like hell.

But I am reminded of what Thoreau said about speaking your mind in a loud voice today and again tomorrow even if it's different -- something like that. Wait. I need to look that up.

Here we go: “Speak what you think today in hard words and tomorrow speak what tomorrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said today.”

Right. Except it wasn't Thoreau, it was Emerson. I always get those two guys mixed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment