Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Concerto in E Minor, Opus 64, for Violin and Orchestra

I am listening to a recording of Mendelssohn’s violin concerto. I can’t hear this piece without thinking about my friend Ann. We met in college in 1965 and were close friends until her untimely death 10 years ago.

She liked classical music and was fairly well informed about it, but I think she felt a little intimidated around me since my background in music was extensive.

Once back in the late 1970’s I visited her when she lived in Washington, D.C., and one pleasant evening we went for a walk down Embassy Row. As we strolled along in companionable silence, looking at all the fabulous sights, she began to hum. The tune she was humming was the theme of the first movement of this Mendelssohn concerto I’m listening to.

Suddenly, she stopped walking, grabbed me by the arm, and said happily, “Hey, get me! Humming Tchaikovsky!”

Bless her heart. I still miss her.

No comments:

Post a Comment