Friday, July 31, 2015

If you won't eat it, then just take its picture

The shooting of the Zimbabwe lion Cecil by the Minnesota dentist Palmer has created a hubbub that is taking on a life of its own. I am already tired of it, but since everybody else has spouted off about it, I think I am entitled to do the same.

I think killing animals for food is perfectly acceptable. I am a carnivore at the top of the food chain.

I think killing animals for sport is despicable. I even object to people who go fishing for fun but throw back all the fish they catch.

People will agree or disagree with those statements, and I don't really care who does. What I want to know is this:

If the dentist with more money than decency had shot an unknown lion with no name and no microchip in whom no researcher had ever taken an interest, would people from all over the world suddenly be all up in arms about it?

But I already know the answer to that: No, they wouldn't.

And isn't that a shame?

No comments:

Post a Comment