Monday, July 20, 2015

How's this for fugitive thoughts?

I need to schedule some time to sit down at my computer and write for this here blog thing. God knows I have plenty to say, I just don't get around to typing it out. Here's what I would have been saying in the past several weeks:

When I said I thought it was inappropriate for the Confederate flag to fly at the South Carolina capitol, I did not know that it is (was) flying at a memorial to the state's Confederate soldiers. I take it back. We would not object if the Lakota, Cheyenne and Arapaho erected a monument of war feathers and tomahawks to honor their fallen warriors at the Little Big Horn or at Wounded Knee, would we? No. As I said in the previous posting, people have a right to honor their war dead, even if they lost and even if their cause is now embarrassing, politically speaking.

The association of the Confederacy with slavery is not going to go away any more than racism is, so we might as well just suck it up.

I let the Supreme Court's decision on same-sex marriage go right past me. As blog topics go, that one was right up my street, as the Brits say. Well, good for SCOTUS, and good for us. Maybe America is growing up.

Although not a big soccer fan, I do like to watch Olympic and World Cup matches if the USA is playing, and I got a major thrill out of our women winning the World Cup. I was just sorry that no player on the American side took her shirt off like the men do and Brandi Chastain did. A great victory nevertheless.

And finally, sick and tired of Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner as I am, I still think it is incumbent upon me to point out that he must have wanted to become a woman real bad if he was willing to give up the ability to pee standing up.

Now I think I'm all caught up.

No comments:

Post a Comment