Monday, February 17, 2014

On My Soap Podium

When the summer Olympics were on two years ago, I complained that the commentators had turned "medal" into a verb (as in, "She has a chance to medal in this event"). For the current Winter Games, they have pretty much abandoned that, and almost all of the sportscasters talk continually about the podium -- making it to the podium, missing the podium, hoping for a place on the podium, etc. It's getting to be a bit tedious.

In my retired state, I've been able to see a lot of events during the day, since Sochi, Russia, is nine hours ahead of us. Of course, it also means that the prime-time broadcast has few surprises. I have seen a lot of things that don't make it to prime time, though, like curling and women's ski jump.

This afternoon I purposely did not watch the finals of the ice dancing competition, partly because I wanted to keep some of the suspense for tonight and partly because I wanted to watch the Canada-Switzerland hockey game. Then just a bit ago I went to Facebook to play Farkle, and right there at the top of my News Feed someone had posted a photo of the gold-medal winners. I was annoyed.

I realize that some of you may read this posting before prime time, which is several hours away, so I am very considerately not mentioning who podiumed.

No comments:

Post a Comment