Thursday, February 6, 2014

On the Lam I Am Not

Loyal Reader Kristin M. of Kansas has sent me an email full of exclamation points and words in capital letters in which she asks me to settle, once and for all, a dispute in which she is currently embroiled with her husband. Evidently he has decided that the word "fugitive" in the title of this here blog thing is a noun, as in "A Fugitive's Thoughts," despite the absence of the possessive apostrophe-S. She counters that I am using it as an adjective to describe my thoughts as fleeting, transitory, elusive. She, of course, is correct.

Apparently Mr. M. refers to me as "The Fugitive," which is moderately amusing until we stop to consider the implications thereof, since the noun can be defined as "a person who has escaped from a place or is in hiding."

From what or whom, Dear Mr. M., do you suppose I am hiding? Surely not from my audience, since these posts are full of ingenuous admissions, confessions, and self-deprecations. Or do you suppose me to be an escapee from reality?

And yes, we all know that he's just yanking your chain, Kristin. Accept it, and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment