Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Owl and the Pussycat, or the Chihuahua

This morning my tiny dog was standing in my lap, her body and front legs stretched up against me, and as she looked up at me, and I suddenly wanted to play Owley Eyes with her. It's a game I played as a tot.

It takes two people to play Owley Eyes. (I used play it with my favorite aunt.) Here's how it goes:  you and the other person come face to face, literally -- foreheads and noses touching. Then you both close your eyes, and after a suspenseful second or two, one of you says, "Open," and then you both open your eyes at the exact same instant while also saying, "Hoooo!" like an owl. What you see before you looks for all the world like a cross-eyed owl. No, really. It really does. It did when I was three years old, anyway, so I'm sure it still does.

Anyway, just  at that moment this morning, I wanted to play Owley Eyes with my tiny dog, but her eyes are so close together, owing to how tiny her head is, that it just didn't work.

Boo Hoooo.

No comments:

Post a Comment