Saturday, November 20, 2010

Equal Time for Mom

Today is my mother’s birthday. Since I mentioned my dad’s birthday last month, I thought I shouldn't let the day go by.

She was born in 1921, which means she would have been 89 today. It’s hard to imagine her as a very old woman because she was only 49 years old when she died.

However, her birth was duly noted on page 4 of the Montgomery News, a weekly newspaper published in Hillsboro, county seat of Montgomery County, Illinois, on November 25, 1921:

Local Notes
Mrs. Ralph Weatherford, who was formerly Miss Blanche Hefley, came home to see her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Turner Hefley, and old Doc Stork played a joke on her by leaving a little girl at Turner’s house, and the little tot was such a handsome “joke” that Ralph and his wife concluded to keep her and name her Elizabeth Anna.

They don’t write birth announcements like that no more. Thank God.

No comments:

Post a Comment