Thursday, September 16, 2010

To read, press on

In his poem "I Am Waiting," Lawrence Ferlinghetti (one of my fave poets, by the way) talks about many things he's waiting for, but since he mentions it several times, we can assume the one main thing he is waiting for is "a rebirth of wonder."

That's lofty stuff. And it should be, being poetic and all. My needs and desires, on the other hand, are pretty simple. Oh, sure, I'm waiting to win the lottery, and I'll even wait around for world peace, the obliteration of hunger, and a cure for cancer. But when it comes right down to the nitty-gritty nuts and bolts of every-day life, there really is just one thing I'm waiting for. And it is this:

Someday, somebody is going to invent a cardboard container that says, "To open, press here," and I'm going to press there, and it's going to open.

That will deliver me some wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment