Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Popularity (not the song by George M. Cohan)

When I was in high school, there were the popular kids and the not popular kids. I was in the drama club, sang in the choir, and averaged mostly average grades, which pretty much put the kibosh on any pretensions I might have had about being in with the in crowd.

We not popular kids referred to the popular ones as "rah-rahs" -- or just "rahs" for short -- as in rah-rah-sis-boom-bah, because the popular kids as a group comprised the cheerleaders and their football- and basketball-playing boyfriends, the student council, the honor society, and the hall monitors. There was also a small but equally popular coterie of hangers-on.

In general, and with only a very few exceptions, the rah-rahs did not like non-rahs, and vice-versa. The question that occupies me today is, what made us call that clique of students popular in the first place? The popular kids were actually only popular with each other, not with any of the rest of us.

I suspect that having persons from my past pop up on Facebook wanting to be my friend is what propels me into these nostalgic funks.

No comments:

Post a Comment