Wednesday, August 1, 2018

What chamber pot?

It was pointed out to me today that I haven’t posted anything in this here blog thing for several weeks. When no topic came immediately to mind, I consulted a Word document I keep on my hard drive entitled “blog ideas.” That’s where I jot down a few words to remind myself of subjects I might want to write about.

When I opened the document, I saw this on the first line:

Defenestrate – why?

Well, why, indeed?  Why do we need a word that describes something so specific? (In case you’ve forgotten, it means to throw something or somebody out a window.)

We don’t have a word that means to save the pasta water when we drain the spaghetti, nor a word that means to put food in the dog’s dish, so why do we need a word that means to throw something out a window?

Could I use it in a sentence? Sure. “The Senator wants the bill to be defenestrated.” Or how about, “The defenestration of chamber pots is prohibited.”

Or, for a snappy come-back, there’s always, “Oh, go defenestrate yourself!”

No comments:

Post a Comment