Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Pick your poison

Playwright Lillian Hellman once said that if you want to know how people will feel about you when you are dead, just go to Europe for a year. When you come back you’ll see how many people didn’t even notice you were gone.

Another way to learn what people think about you is to listen to the innocent voices of their children.

Whenever I visited my brother and his family, I liked to take a quick trip to a grocery store to pick up a loaf of plain old white bread for myself. I never cared for the kind my health-conscious relations always kept on hand, those multi-whole-grain loaves that resemble matted kitty litter.

One day when preparing lunch, my sister-in-law asked my five-year-old niece what kind of bread she wanted for her sandwich. The little girl replied, “I want some of Auntie Jan’s decadent white bread.”

So, how do you really feel about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment