Friday, April 14, 2017

Brain Fuzz

Everybody knows that the mind tends to get a little fuzzy as we grow older. I can still be surprised, however, by the extent of the effects of my own fuzzy brain.

As for instance last evening, when I decided my aperitif would be one of my newer favorites, a Tom Collins.

I put light rum, lime juice and simple syrup in a tall glass, used my tiny battery-powered frother to mix it thoroughly, added ice cubes, then filled the glass with club soda, stirring with a wooden chop stick (more on that some other time).

It was terrible. Well, okay, maybe not terrible, but not good. It basically tasted like carbonated lime. Adding a little more sugar syrup helped, but it was still a disappointment.

I mentally reviewed every step I had taken, and found no fault. In case I had gotten the proportions wrong, I looked up the recipe I always use. It then became perfectly clear that I had used the correct manner and method for a Tom Collins with the ingredients for a Daiquiri.

Maybe old people with fuzzy brains should drink fuzzy navels.

No comments:

Post a Comment