Friday, May 27, 2016

Knedlíky a zelí

We spent the last night of our recent vacation in Vermillion, Ohio, a pretty little town on Lake Erie with many marinas and a gazillion boats.

We wanted our last meal on the road to be special, and we found a restaurant called Old Prague which boasted of serving authentic Czechoslovakian cuisine.  That piqued my Bohemian interest, so we decided to Czech it out.  (Sorry.  I couldn't help it.)

It turned out to be a lovely meal, and very Czech: an appetizer of potato pancakes with sauerkraut, then pork roast for my wife and Wiener Schnitzel for me, all served with bread dumplings and sauerkraut.

Back out in the parking lot, we were about to take pictures of each other when a couple came by and the woman volunteered to take a picture of us together, an offer we gratefully accepted.



It reminded me of a similar experience we had in California many years ago when we visited the Inglenook Vineyard in Napa Valley. We were taking photos of each other in front of the place when I saw a man approaching, and I thought we might ask him to take our picture together. Then we noticed he only had one arm, so we nixed the idea. As he came closer, he called out, "Would you like me to take your picture?" Well, sure. I handed him the camera, pointed out which button to push, and he had no troubling at all handling it with his one hand. Just goes to show you.

No comments:

Post a Comment