Sunday, June 23, 2013

W

The Houston Astros are in Chicago, finishing up a three-game series with the Cubs.  I've watched at least part of all three games, and I wondered why the announcers kept comparing the Houston players' stats to American League players.  So I Googled it. 

Holy cow!  When did the Astros move to the American League?  And how did I miss it?  I guess I really don't pay much attention to what's going on in baseball if it doesn't involve the Cubs, or even if it does, sometimes.

I'm surprised the American League would take the Astros.  They're worse than the Cubs.

I'm watching the rubber game of the series even as I write.  The Cubs are ahead 14-6 with two outs in the top of the 9th inning.  This is my kind of baseball.  Now I'm a big enough fan to appreciate a 1-0 pitchers' duel, but a game like this one is what puts the fannies in the seats.  There have been 29 hits, 4 errors (not counting a couple that were scored as base hits), lots of throwing and running and sliding, plenty of extra base hits, some fine defensive plays and a couple goofy ones.

Because both teams have players named Castro (Cub Shortstop Starlin and Houston Catcher Jason), I indulged in a little fantasy-baseball fantasy in which our Castro is someday traded to Miami.  Then when those two teams played each other, it would be Castro's Astros vs. Starlin's Marlins.

Or not.  Oh, here we go.  Ground ball to the shortstop ... throw to first ... out!

Cubs win!

No comments:

Post a Comment