Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Is it too late for flash cards?

When I was in the fourth grade I was supposed to memorize the multiplication tables, but I never bothered.  Some I know pretty good, some I can come up with if I think about it hard enough, and some are a lost cause -- fours, sixes, sevens, and eights are especially hard for me.

I get around it by adding things up.  For example, if I need to multiply 7 x 6, I would multiply 7 times 3 (21) and add 21 to 21 to get 42.

The other day I was figuring how many tablespoons there are in a pound of butter.  There are 8 tablespoons per stick, and 4 sticks.  I couldn't remember how much 8 x 4 is, but I do know 8 x 8 is 64, and half of 8 is 4, so 8 x 4 would be half of 64, which is 32.  Did you get that?

Nines are easy -- you just multiply by ten and subtract, as in 6 x 9:  6 times 10 is 60, so 6 times 9 would be 60 minus 6, or 54.

The really nasty bugaboo is 8 x 6.  I was taught, back there in the fourth grade, that 8 x 6 (or, conversely, 6 x 8) is equal to the number of stars in the flag.  So 6 x 8 must be 50.  Somehow that never seems to turn out exactly right.

No comments:

Post a Comment